Analysis of The Return by Simon K Parker

Analysis of The Return by Simon K Parker

The Return by Simon K Parker is interesting  script and I really enjoy it when I read the script; moreover,  the way He presents the plot  is very simply, fresh and easy to understand. In this script He choose teenagers as main character of the story.   The  narration is simply and the dictions  which He used in this script really represent of teenagers atmosphere. The Playwright use third person as point of view as a narrator. The story  tells us about a teenager around 17 year old named Mike who wants to be a musician but unfortunately his father doesn’t support him to reach his dream .meanwhile Lucy as secondary character  always gives him support  and convinces him to pursue his dream.  The emotion of story that was stated in the script  has succeeded to illustrate conflict that happened in the story.  In this script, the Playwright uses andro method. It’s proven by presence of main character that’s a young boy. After that we can know about this method by doing analysis the dialogues and narrations.

We can recognize tendency at Mike, in this script Playwright describe him as teenager around 17 years old, skinny and handsome young boy but has unconfident feeling that he said about himself “ It’s not coming out right “ when He sing a song  and then tries a few lyrics but stumbles and stutters over them and he getting frustrated he gives up.

We can also infer tendency in Mike’s father , The Playwright describe him as man around 40, a little overweight with couple cheap looking tattoos on his right arm. He disagree with his son’s hobby, he underestimate him in this dialogues :
Dad :
Give up Mike, or at least don’t ask me to sit back and watch you continue making a fucking fool out of your self.

We can recognize this tendency also when first conflict happened with these dialogues below :
Dad:
Are you coming with me today?
Mike :
I’m not signing onto the fucking dole dad. I’m better than that.
Dad :
You’re better than me.
Mike shakes his head, that’s not what he meant.
Mike:
You could get a job if you wanted.
Dad :
And what about you?
Mike :
I’m going to make it.
Dad :
Make it, make what?
Mike:
Music

Those dialogues describe about social issue of teenagers life too between father and his son life orientation. Those dialogues  tells  us about arguing and conflict that Mike’s father disagree with Mike’s orientation to become musician. His father thought that become musician is not best decision for Mike’s life so that his father very upset with him.

The other Social issue that discusses in this script is about teenager life especially about unconfident behavior and returning process from underestimate feeling into confident person. And to help Mike, the Playwright uses Lucy as secondary character to accompany him through this hard situation. We can recognize this tendency in this dialogues below :
Lucy :
Go for your dream
Mike :
I can’t do it, I’ve tried. I get too scared. I can’t even do it alone in my bedroom. I’ve been writing lyrics for the last five years and I just get choked up.
Lucy :
What’s the point in doing it alone?
Mike :
To try and see if I’m good enough.
Lucy :
You are.

Those dialogues give us clue that Lucy as secondary character has succeeded to convince Mike to register as participant in competition.

Next to another analysis about tone of character in this script.
Mike:
For Fucks sake
Lucy :
What’s wrong?
Mike :
I don’t know what’s wrong with me.
Lucy:
It’s happening today, and the worst thing that can happen is that you don’t try. Come on mike. Don’t give upon me now. That’s not fair.

From these dialogue, if we uses binary opposition, we will know the difference between Mike and Lucy’s characters. Mike is  a weak and unconfident young boy and Lucy is strong girl with high confident.

Next to  tone's character’s. in this script main character is Mike and the secondary character are Lucy, and his Father. The subordinate character are Lucy’s boyfriend and Master Ceremony in The competition.

First Mike’s tones are dominant in negative. They are frustrated and unconfident.

Unconfident and frustrated.

"What if I’m not good enough".
"I can’t do it, I’ve tried. I get too scared"

The second is Lucy’s tone character is care.

Mike :
Why do you care so much
Lucy :
Maybe because I like you.

And the third tone’s character is Mike’s father is not appear in this script because he only say about his disagree about Mike’s orientation life. It appear in this dialogue below :

“Give up Mike, or at least don’t ask me to sit back and watch you continue making a fucking fool out of your self.”

Finally because of Lucy’s supporting, Mike’s succeeded to defeat his unconfident feeling to sing a song on stage in the competition. These describe in this narration below.

Mike reaches out and ripe the microphone from him, moving effortlessly in his own rhythme, rapping with skill and ease. Those all around him now turning to focus their attention onto him.

At the end of the story I felt so happy for Lucy and Mike’s characters. Because of Lucy’s supporting, Mike has succeeded to defeat his underestimate feeling. Mike felt grateful for Lucy’s supporting. He say thank you for lucy’s care.

Mike:
Thank you
Lucy :
Don’t say that to me. That was all you.
Mike:
But you made me
Lucy :
I didn’t make you write those lyrics, I didn’t make you move to mic and I didn’t make you have the talent.

For those dialogue we can learn about caring and supporting is very important for somebody who has unconfident feeling like Mike. So The Return is good drama script , hopely it inspires us to pursue our dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of 3 Am taxi by Simon K. Parker